Friday, March 6, 2009

Catching Up


My computer has recently decided that it doesn't feel like recognizing any of the USB drives other than my mouse and even though I've been baking at least three times a week for the last two weeks, I have not been uploading any of the pictures. I guess I could have looked into this problem earlier, but like I said, I've been baking. So to catch up a bit I have some pictures of the Red Velvet cupcakes I took to the potluck party I went to on Valentine's day


It was a nice casual get together with a Southern food theme. There were amazing Red beans and rice, buttermilk fried chicken, mac-n'-cheese, and a very interesting stew. I thought that the red velvet cake, a Southern classic, would fit the theme perfectly, and I think they went over well with some people coming back for seconds :)

I made my Parrot cake for my boss's going away party. It's like a carrot cake, but it has shredded pears instead of carrots, making the cake extra moist and very flavorful. Unfortunately, I was running around so much I didn't have time to take any pictures. One of my co-workers snapped a few, but I still have not seen them, so you'll just have to take my word for it.


And finally I went to my very first fondue party this past weekend. It was really fun and now I want three crock pots of my very own. Everyone brought sweet and savory dippin's like bread, veggies, homemade angel food cake, homemade pound cake and fruit. After brunch we were going to watch 'Chocolat', but the DVD refused to cooperate and we ended up playing a board game instead, which ended up being even better since by that time everyone was in a food comma and watching a food-related movie would have put everyone to sleep. As my contribution I figured I'd make something to "munch" on during the movie, cake balls. I was trying to make cake pops like I saw on this blog, making my own cake and frosting instead of the store bought one, but I didn't have any lolly pop sticks or candy coating, so I ended up sticking with just the bon bon shape. They were delicious and the perfect over the top snack.

I have a growing list of things I'd like to try in the upcoming weeks as well as a few orders in the works, and now that my computer is being nice to me again I'll try to be more consistent with updates....I promise :)

No comments: