Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Epic Battle: Vanilla vs. Chocolate




My friend and social calendar keeper, Donna, has been telling her co-workers about my "side-business" and so I have an order for plain Vanilla and plain Chocolate cupcakes. Now, I'm not a big fan of "plain", but understanding that everyone's tastes differ, I decided that plain will never equal boring in my kitchen, so I set about doing research to find the ultimate Vanilla and the ultimate Chocolate cupcake recipe. I think I hit it fairly close on the head. The crumb for both is delicate and moist while still having a powerful flavor of vanilla and chocolate. I decided to give two non-meringue based frostings a try and although they came highly recommended...I think next time I'll stick with my staple recipe, even if it does take 10 times longer to whip up. All in all they both came out very cute and I'm happy with the result.

Just as a side note, I am still in the "research and development" stage of my baking career. I'm mixing up a lot of experiments and I'm still adjusting things I like and don't like from each recipe I find. This is why you will not see any recipes on this blog for a while. It's not that I don't want to share...I just don't want to pass on something that I know is not fool-proof. I know I absolutely hate it when I get a recipe from the web promising heaven and what I get falls desperately short. If there is something in here that catches your eye and you absolutely must know how it's done, feel free to send me an email and I'll be happy to share (as long as it's not a family secret...I do have one or two of those and ask as often as you like, I'm not tellin').

No comments: